Transform Nighttime into Daytime
Lighting for Exceptional Nighttime Baseball LIGHTING FOR THE PERFECT PLAYING EXPERIENCE
Baseball and Softball are both sports we love to watch and play. Whether it be Little League, Recreational or High School, College level and beyond, LuxLogic can assist you with professional, energy efficient Lighting designs and products.
Baseballs travel very fast so to play safely and effectively as dusk turns into night, Visibility, Glare, Uniformity and Contrast are all major lighting considerations.
If you are designing a new field or if you need to change your old halogen or metal halide lighting to LED lighting, our expert team is ready to assist.
Please reach out and we will connect you with our trained sales agents and design team to get you started.
Baseball at Night
As night falls, visibility in the baseball field drops to zero, birthing the need for proper lighting, not just lighting, but Perfect lighting. If the lighting is not good or improperly placed, it is very hard to see.
Baseball is a high-speed, multi-directional sport as the ball can travel with a high velocity, at speeds reaching up to 61 metres per second. The baseball is white and under poor lighting conditions, at high speed, the ball may be temporarily out of sight which is a result of low contrast due to direct glare from the light source.
Proper illumination eliminates these problems thereby providing the best lighting conditions for nighttime baseball.
More Light = Less Shadows
Shadows are formed naturally when players block some of the light from the pole. These shadows make the game less enjoyable for both players and spectators.
These shadows can be displaced through proper lighting design.
Lighting should be designed to provide good modeling of the players. To achieve this, lighting from three or four directions is required as this minimizes shadows.
Basic Planning Principles
Our Key Objectives
Flawless baseball is our raison d'être.
If used effectively, proper lighting can have a positive impact on the overall gameplay, spectators and players viewing experience, players health, safety, performance and well-being.
Some basic considerations we can assist with are:
- Lighting Requirements / Standards for Level of Play
- Pole Quantity, mounting height and location
- Quantity of fixtures and layout
- Fixture degree angles and aiming
- Power requirements
- Maintenance Considerations
We are the “go to” Sports Lighting Specialists!
Characteristics of Good Lighting
To achieve a “perfect” lighting the interplay between daylight and artificial light, colours and materials, should be accurately understood, and infused to the overall design of lighting systems.
For an accurate illumination design, the following should be put into consideration:
- Luminaire quantity: The number of lights needed to properly illuminate the baseball field and minimize shadows
- Pole Quantity and placement: This maximizes luminaire efficiency
- Brightness: This refers to the light reflecting from an object. This controls contrast which affects seeing. High contrasts prevent the ball from being seen properly.
- Glare: The light should be well spread over the field. Good lighting shouldn’t cast direct glare on any surface.
- Uniformity: Fixture aiming and beam spreads determine uniform coverage over the entire baseball field. Attention should be paid during design and placement, to avoid casting shadows and or creating hot or dark spots.
Recommended Illuminance Levels
Understanding the Baseball Field
|Outfield (FCs)||Outfield (Lux)||Infield (FCs)||Infield (Lux)||Outfield FCs (Max/Min)||Outfield Lux (Max/Min)||Infield FCs (Max/Min)||Infield Lux (Max/Min)|
Infield: standard measurement of 90' by 60', and an infield radius of 95' by 50'
Outfield: the area beyond the infield and between the foul lines, the size may vary, therefore we design our systems to meet your specifications.
Foul zone: forms a part of the play area and must therefore be included in the design.
Other areas which require lighting:
- Bull pens
- Warm up area
- Entrances and exits
- Parking lots
- Concession stands
Pictorial representation of the baseball field
Our Lighting Solutions Overview
Proper placement of poles
Accurate mounting height
Proper floodlight aiming
- The aiming must be done in such a way that there will be no interference
- Each Individual floodlight should be aimed according to the aiming diagram
- There should be maximum light distribution to eliminate shadows, and properly placed to avoid hot spots.
- The chances of having hot spots will be greatly reduced if the maximum beam candle of a single luminaire produces no more than 80% of the average illuminance at any point where it is aimed
- Free design assist services: We are glad to direct you on the best way to use our products and design your facility. Feel free to contact us for assistance
- Retrofitting: Through our easy-to-use customer contact services, you can tell us your existing lighting specifications. Let us know if you desire a “one for one” replacement with same specifications or require a new more efficient upgrade
- Energy Management: We can assist you in lowering your total overall energy and maintenance costs by switching to longer lasting more energy efficient LED Lighting
- Spare part services: With our extensive range of products and customer satisfaction at heart, we provide spare parts for our lighting systems
300w / 400w / 500w / 600w / 750w / 1000w / 1200w
100-277v (UNV) / 277-480v (HV)
Yoke (std) / Slip Fitter
130 - 160Lm/w
The Champion 2 LED Sports Flood Light is the ideal stadium light. This sports light packs a punch providing 150L/W. It is available in multiple beam angles and color temperatures. This fixture is waterproof, (IP 66 rated), dustproof, and provides superior thermal venting. Operating temperature –30° to 40°C (-22F to 113F). Standard dimming of 0-10V.
- LED Type: Philips
- LED Driver: Inventronics/Meanwell
- Lumen Maintenance @L70: 50,000 hours
- CRI: >70
- THD : <15%
- Power Factor: >0.95
- Power Efficiency: 0.95
- Operating Temperature: -30°C to 45°C / -22°F to 113°F
300w / 400w / 500w / 600w / 700w / 800w / 1000w
100-277v (UNV) / 277-480v (HV)
Yoke (std) / Slip FItter
The Pro Sports Flood includes state-of-the-art LEDs along with extremely efficient optics which allow you to illuminate sports facilities with a reduced number of fixturs. Compact size and reduced EPA make this flood light an ideal candidate for retrofit projects. Includes integral Surge Protection Device 20KV standard. Operating temperature –40° to 50°C (-40°F to 122°F). Standard cord length is 1m (3.28ft).
- CRI: >70
- Operating Temperature: -40°C to 50°C / -40°F to 122°F
Reach out to us to have your baseball related questions answered - we’re always happy to respond to you!
- Can high power LED lights be a good substitute for metal halide?
- The answer is an absolute yes! We have many high-powered LED floodlights and baseball field liminaires designed specifically for use in baseball fields. They can easily replace 1000 watt, 1500 watt, 2000 watt, even 3500 watt metal halides, and have high quality, durable and energy saving lighting effects.
- What’s the most suitable CCT (Colour Temperature) for baseball lighting?
- Most of our clients choose 5000k/5700k for their baseball field lighting.